The Evangelical Church of Sibiu, Transylvania, Romania
> The largest organ in South-Eastern Europe.
> The 2nd highest church in Transylvania.
> The church is almost 5 centuries old.
The Evangelical Church of Sibiu is one of the most beautiful Gothic buildings in Transylvania. It was built in 1520 replacing an even older Roman basilica, built in the 12th century.
The building is dominated by the 7 levels tower, 73m tall, the 2nd highest in Transylvania (after St.Michael Church of Cluj). The organ was built in 1671, replacing an older one, built a century earlier. In 1914, a new organ - 6.000 pipes - was installed, becoming the largest organ in South-Eastern Europe. The gray stone walls create a peaceful and austere atmosphere. A gigantic fresco, 9m high, painted in 1445, covers the north wall of the chancel. Inside the most remarcable painting - The Crucifixion - belongs to Johannes de Rozenaw and it is dated 1445. The church has one the most impressive portfolio of old religious objects made of silver.