The Metropolitan Cathedral of Timisoara, Banat-Crisana, Romania
> The Metropolitan seat of Banat.
> The highest church of the region.
> Valuable religious objects collection.
Nowadays it is probably the most representative symbol of Timisoara. The Metropolitan Cathedral has 11 towers, of which the central is the highest: 96 meters. It is home to many valuable religious objects such as old icons and early writings in Romanian, such as the 1648 "New Testament of Balgrad" and the 1643 "The Homiliary of Varlaam". The relics of St.John of Partos, the protector of Banat area Orthodox, are located inside.
It is a Romanian Orthodox cathedral built starting with 1937 after the Banat area was united with Romania. It is dedicated to the Three Holy Hierarchs, Saints Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian, and John Chrysostom. King Michael of Romania assisted at the first service.
The building's style is quite unusual among Romanian Orthodox buildings, although it is partly based on local religious tradition and partly on Byzantine architecture. Some elements can be seen in 14th century monasteries such as Cozia or Prislop. Because of the WWII, the church's interior and exterior paintings weren't finished on time finished on time, so this work went on for many years after the war. The bells are 8 tons weight and they were made of a special material brought from Sumatra and Borneo islands.
There is a museum inside, hosting 3.000 rare books, 800 religious icons and paintings and 130 religious objects. The leaders of the Metropolitan church of Banat were burried inside the cathedral.